Monday, August 7, 2017

Summer Book Review

After a lengthy blogging break for summer, I’m back with this summer’s book review! With my recent engagement, most of my reading time has been occupied with premarital books and Financial Peace University (which I highly recommend!)...not to mention wedding planning! But I’ve managed to squeeze in a few more books this summer. 

The totals are in! From June and July, the titles I finished are as follows: 

  1. Dear Jane: Wise Counsel from Ms. Austen and Friends by Potter Orfali (224 pages)
This little, graduation gift sized book is a small one I bought for my desk at work. It takes reader questions and puts it into a question and answer format, answered only with Jane Austen quotes. Very funny, and in fact, insightful!
  1. Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan (288 pages)
I listened to this gem on audio during my morning and evening commute, and there were several times when I would sit in my car on my lunch break just to get more of this story! It’s a captivating story about the mystery of a fictional 24-hour bookstore in San Fransisco and how they used Google’s technology to decode ancient texts. Ari Fliakos narrates (one of the narrators from Jodi Picoult’s Small Great Things), and his smooth voice takes you into the world of the book. Loved it!
  1. Who Am I? Identity in Christ by Jerry Bridges (95 pages)
I read this book for a women’s mentoring group, and although it’s very textbook-like, it offered a lot of wisdom straight from scripture about who we are in Christ. My biggest takeaway was that God sees us just as He sees Christ once we are His. I can never do anything to make him love me any more or any less.
  1. Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman (499 pages)
Wow, if you’ve read any books on economics, you know that it can be super hard to get through! I am so glad I pushed through and finished this beast. Although economics and psychology are not necessarily my interests, this book was an interesting dive into how our brains work, both consciously and subconsciously. If you’re into psychology and how the brain works, pick this one up!
  1. What is the Bible?: How an Ancient Library of Poems, Letters, and Stories Can Transform the Way You Think and Feel About Everything by Rob Bell (336 pages)
Although I don’t agree with some things that Rob Bell teaches, this book was very interesting and changed the way I look at scripture. In the first half of the book, Bell dives into some Old Testament stories and breaks them down by looking at not only the language that was used in the story, but also the culture and traditions of the time. Did you know that because Ruth was a Moabite (descended from the line of Lot, Abraham’s nephew), and Boaz was descended from Abraham, that when Ruth and Boaz met, fell in love, and got married, it symbolized Lot finally being reunited with Abraham? That’s pretty cool if you ask me. It has challenged me to look deeper into the stories I’ve known so well my whole life and research those cultural elements.
  1. A Place of Quiet Rest: Finding Intimacy With God Through a Daily Devotional Life by Nancy Leigh DeMoss (267 pages)
Another book from my women’s mentoring group, DeMoss’ exploration of a daily quiet time, specifically before your day starts, was both encouraging and convicting. I’m one that has always struggled to wake up early or get out of bed before the very last second, and although I’m nowhere near where I need to be, it has challenged me to be more vigilant about keeping that appointment with the Lord and having a daily, morning quiet time.
  1. Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah (304 pages)
I also listened to Trevor Noah read his own memoir on audio, and it was striking. I would highly recommend listening to this on audio. There is something so powerful about listening to someone tell their own story! Noah is an excellent storyteller, and he often speaks in the native African languages. Born half-white in South Africa, Noah explores race, culture, and faith in an extremely captivating and powerful way. Highly recommend!

Total: 7 books and 2,013 pages! 

The winner, and my favorite of the summer is…. 
Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan! 



Have a wonderful week, and happy reading!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment