Monday, February 13, 2017

Like a Teacup

In this season of change and challenge, God has blessed me with seven fifth grade girls whose curiosity and silliness remind me what it’s like to be young and free and a child of the King.

I’ll be the first to admit that sometimes on a Sunday evening, after an exhausting day of nursery duty, church service, and tutoring, I’m not always in a great mood and ready to go on Sunday evenings...especially when the girls are sugared up and excited from their great weekends! But over the last few months, God has allowed each of them to worm their ways into my heart and change my views on my own life, and even my view of God!

Last night, God reminded me of a little analogy that I shared with the girls. We are going through the book of 1 Peter, and talking about how trials in life “refine” us.
The concept of being refined is not always an easy thing to describe to a fifth grader. In case you need a refresher, this is the verse that the study was referencing:

“These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold--though your faith is far more precious than mere gold. So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world.” -1 Peter 1:7

These girls had many questions about what it means to be “tested and purified by fire.” At first, I tried to explain how gold becomes more pure and valuable when it is put through fire, which is true, but not easy to grasp as a child.

God brought to mind a little analogy about a teacup who went through kiln. Our conversation went a little like this:

Me: “When God refines us through the hard times in our lives, it’s a little bit like how a teacup is made. Have you guys seen someone make a teacup or a vase in a pottery class before?”
Commence all seven of them at once telling stories about how they have or haven’t seen pottery made before, or how their aunt/mom/cousin/sister’s friend’s mom’s sister did one once.
Me: “That’s awesome! So when you saw the piece of clay made into a teacup, did they put tea in it and drink?”
All: “No! It was still wet, they couldn’t use it!”
Me: “Do you know what they had to do before they could use it?”
Girl 1: “Well they have to put it in this thing with fire so it gets hard and sturdy.”
Girl 2: “They can’t use it until it goes through the fire!”
Radio silence.
All: “Ohhh! I get it!”
Me: “That’s right! So when we go through hard times, it is so God can use us to glorify Him.”



Not only was it so cool to see them get this concept, but God made it jump out to me again as well. I’ve heard this analogy a million times, but in this season of changes and challenges, it hit me like a ton of bricks. All of these changes, all of this season, is ultimately for good. God isn’t done with me yet!

The curiosity and silliness that I see in my little fifth graders reminds me that as a child of God, I still have a lot of growing to do. I have my own areas of curiosity that I’m exploring with God, and He treasures those, of all ages, that seek Him. Every single trial is for His glory. To expand His kingdom and glorify His name.

What a blessing it is to be a part of God’s Kingdom. He is moving!

No comments:

Post a Comment