Monday, February 6, 2017

On Exercising Your Inside

Lately, I’ve been in a little bit of a slump. Honestly, most of the people that I know feel the same way. I’m not in college anymore, I’m not married yet...it’s this middle ground that is constantly filled with doing. I’m off work...okay...what do I do? Clean? Read? Catch up with friends? Grocery shop? Update my work wardrobe? Work out? Eat better?

Well, honestly, I have been running around like a chicken with my head cut off, battling sickness all week, trying to maintain a clean home, staying up on my book count, eating right and working out to get the body I think I need...but I was forgetting this one liiiiiiiiiittle thing that makes all the difference.

Yes, you know what I’m going to say.

Jesus.

At the beginning of 2017, I made a commitment to read the Bible all the way through for the first time this year. Cover to cover. And while I’m not completely on schedule, I’m doing much better than I have done in years past. Maybe because adult life actually forces me into a routine, maybe because every once in awhile I feel like I have to, I’m not sure.

But this week, something changed in me. I was reading my Bible during a break at work and thinking about how much easier life would be if I didn’t love sleep so much and could do this in the morning, and I was simultaneously reading the Bible, planning my weekly blog post, thinking about how I have to clean those dang makeup brushes, and wondering how long it’s been since I’ve vacuumed. The next thing I knew, I was three chapters into my Bible reading and I had no idea what I just read. I flipped a few pages back and started reading again, while simultaneously calculating how good I’ll actually need to feel after a sinus infection for it to be okay for me to work out again.

That’s when I caught myself.

If you have been reading anything I’ve been posting lately, you’ve been able to see that January was pretty busy for me, with completing the Whole30 food challenge and paying careful attention to what I eat, and what is healthiest for me. I think it is important to take care of the body that God has given me. And I stand by that.

What I realized was, planning out food for the Whole30 and trying to coordinate cleaning my apartment and working out and seeing friends, while completely breezing over my spiritual exercises (like my time with Jesus) is killing me…maybe not physically, but definitely spiritually and emotionally. There were times when I was a wreck, claiming I just couldn’t handle the stress of my life.

With each task I added to my list, at work or at home, I added a little more stress to my life. And instead of balancing tasks in a healthy manner, I was piling everything on at once.
Instead of pulling things off the top of the pile, and evenly distributing it throughout my week, I was putting off my time with God. Without seeking His wisdom in my life, nothing else even mattered.
Yes, cleaning my apartment is important, and it needs to happen. Yes, working out and eating right are both important and necessary for my physical health and well being.
But without “working out” my spiritual life, praying, being in tune with God, and reading the Bible, how would I even begin to go about the rest of my life?

All of that is to say this: in the craziness of your week, with all you have on your list…
Don’t forget Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment