Tuesday, April 4, 2017

March Book Review

Another month has come and gone, which means another month of reading has come and gone. And with it...April has arrived. 

My reading has been much, much less this month, due to a reading slump. And for April, I will be focusing more on my writing (which is okay, since I’m almost halfway to my year’s reading goal, and it’s only April).

So without further ado… March’s books!

  1. Nature by Ralph Waldo Emerson, 120 pages
  2. Jesus Is by Judah Smith, 168 pages
  3. The Wangs vs. The World by Jade Chang, 355 pages
 
Total Pages: 643 pages

It’s hard to pick a “favorite book” this month, because my book count is waaaay down, and all three of these books are drastically different. Last weeks post (here) was mostly focused on Jesus Is, so I’ll go ahead and talk a little bit about Jade Chang and The Wangs vs. The World.

My book club has been focusing on reading books from all around the world, and The Wangs vs. The World is a fictional book about a Chinese immigrant who makes it rich in the makeup industry, marries and has children, and later falls from fame and wealth. The story is set in the year 2008, right around the time of President Obama’s election, and switches perspective between family members as the massive loss of money affects each individual. 

If you’re super conservative and never like to see curse words or sexual references in a book, don’t pick this one up. In my opinion, the language was mild, and didn’t take away from the point of the book. 

It was really interesting to read about not only the elite culture in America, but also the views and standpoints from an Asian American family.

 The outlook and mindset that the older generation of Chinese Americans has also intrigued me, as the father figure in the book is very focused on heritage, land, and wealth. This book kept me captivated from the first page to the last page and man...isn’t the cover gorgeous? I love it.



I don’t want to give much more away, so if you’re interested, just pick it up and give it a chance. 

Currently Reading:
  1. The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
  2. Jesus Feminist by Sarah Bessey

Up Next:
  1. Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan
  2. Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment